I've been wanting to post about our Taco Night forever! It's my go to, fun, easy dinner and takes no time at all. Plus it (can be) super healthy! You can build a complete hand held meal with lean beef or ground turkey, fresh veggies, whole wheat tortillas and beans. All good stuff!
The toddler is a bit young to take advantage of the build your own taco bar I create so I normally make him a quick quesadilla using the meat and cheese and he gets pepper strips on the side.
Here's the our spread from last night (notice the laundry piling up in the background, we are having a hard time keeping up-it should have been done over the weekend! ;~P).
Normally I make Spicy Black Beans and Zucchini on the side and mix some of the beans into the meat but I was feeling a little lazy yesterday so I went with some leftover corn on the cob.
- 8oz lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- Taco Seasoning
- 1tbsp of salsa (optional, I use for the 99% lean turkey to help with dryness)
Brown the meat over medium high heat with spices add the salsa at the end to help with dryness.
The Tortilla Shells
I like soft tacos, so we use whole grain, low carb tortillas. I have two favorites one from Trader Joe's (Trader Joe’s Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas) and the other is a local brand called Canyon River Low Carb as far as I know they are only available at a local store called Weis. Both are 1 point a shell.
Anything you want!
- shredded lettuce mixed with baby spinach because the husband “doesn't like spinach” yet when it's mixed in with the lettuce he doesn't seem to mind it as much (interesting)
- diced tomatoes
- diced peppers
- cheese (I weigh out my oz so I know how much I use).
The best part, I have leftovers for really cool lunches!
The nutritional information is hard for this one. At least it is for me. I can get make anywhere from 7-10 tacos per 8oz of meat. If I add beans even more. My philosophy on taco night is light on the meat and heavy on the veggies. Normally I eat 3 on my favorite Trader Joe's Low Carb Tortillas (50 cals per). So that is (and this is for my WW readers) 1 point per tortilla, 2-3 for the meat, 2 for the cheese and everything else is free. A 6 point taco night ain't to shabby!
- 8 oz lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of salsa optional, I use for the 99% lean turkey to help with dryness
- Brown the meat over medium high heat with spices add the salsa at the end to help with dryness.8 oz lean ground turkey or lean ground beef, Taco Seasoning, 1 tablespoon of salsa, shredded lettuce mixed with baby spinach because the husband “doesn't like spinach” yet when it's mixed in with the lettuce he doesn't seem to mind it as much, diced tomatoes, diced peppers