Yesterday I took out some boneless pork chops out for dinner and I had NO idea what to do with them. It was beautiful outside, so I decided on grilling but I didn’t want to do plain old boring BBQ sauce. What can I say, I’m an experimenter!
So I thought I’d whip together a quick sweet and spicy marinade/BBQ sauce using apple flavor as the base. I love apples and pork together and this is my attempt to BBQ-nize it.
Did the husband like it? Well, let’s see….
Me: “So, what do you think?” (Side note: that was after a few bites and he KNOWS I’m dying to hear is review. He purposely holds back until I ask, I swear!)
The Husband: “It’s good.”
Me: “Good, good? Or just good?” (I love annoying him!)
The Husband: “It’s good. A little too sweet though.”
Me: “WOW really? I thought you were going to say too hot. I was going for the whole sweet and spicy thing.”
The Husband: “Well, I like the hot, the sweet, no so much.”
Me: “But that was the point, SWEET and spicy.”
The Husband: “ok, well I don’t like the sweet. It’s too sweet.”
Me: “But you like them?”
The Husband: “Yea, they’re good.”
This is a pretty typical conversation for us when I experiment in the kitchen. The husband really isn’t a food guy, his response is either, “It’s good” or he doesn’t eat it. It’s like there is no in between. It CRACKS me up!
Anyway, here you go. It was a fun, spicy detour from regular old BBQ sauce. Oh! And too spicy for the toddler, he had a plain chop.
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco (this made it pretty hot, you might want to cut it back)
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (about 4 oz each – 1 lb total)
- Salt & Pepper
Mix the molasses, vinegar, applesauce, ketchup and Tabasco.
Season the pork chop with salt and pepper and smother with the sauce. Grill for a 3-4 min a side on a preheated grill and brush with reamining sauce. If you have thin cuts like mine, they cook up real fast. I think the thick asparagus actually took longer to grill!
Sweet & Spicy Grilled Pork Chops
- Mix the molasses, vinegar, applesauce, ketchup and Tabasco.1 tablespoon molasses, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon applesauce, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- Season the pork chop with salt and pepper and smother with the sauce.4 boneless pork loin chops, Salt & Pepper
- Grill for a 3-4 min a side on a preheated grill and brush with reamining sauce. If you have thin cuts like mine, they cook up real fast. I think the thick asparagus actually took longer to grill!