I've had this idea for a quick creamy chicken dish for a few days now. It was time to give it a shot.
The whole family LOVED it. I'm not joking. The only complaint came from Little Guy who declared his hate of mushrooms yet again BUT he ate everything around them. Fine by me, I still got chicken, peas, and whole wheat noodles in the boy without argument. Score 1 for mommy!
As for the husband, he devoured his plate and said it was "great." If you've been reading for some time you know I RARELY get a 'great.' This is something special!
Me? Well, I loved it! It was creamy and flavorful. The mushrooms added an additional meatiness to the chicken and the "gravy" went perfect over noodles. However, I ate mine over spaghetti squash and it was divine, a super filling super light dinner!
Here's what I did…
- ½ of a large sweet onion chopped
- 1 8oz package of baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 lb (16oz) of chicken breast cut in chunks
- 1 10oz can of cream of healthy request mushrooms soup
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
In a large skillet saute the onion and mushrooms over medium-high heat with a squirt of non-stick cooking spray.
Add the chicken and brown.
Add the can of mushroom soup and ½ can of water. Stir until well combined.
Continue to cook over the medium-high heat until it starts to boil.
Add the frozen peas and cook until it boils again.
Lower to a simmer until you're ready to serve.
This would work over brown rice, whole wheat noodles, bulgur, or my personal favorite, spaghetti squash. Here's the nutritional information for just the chicken and mushrooms with peas so you can add in what you decide to use.
Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Peas
- Add the chicken and brown.1 lb 16oz of chicken breast cut in chunks
- Add the can of mushroom soup and ½ can of water. Stir until well combined.½ of a large sweet onion chopped, 1 8 oz package of baby portobello mushrooms, 1 10 oz can of cream of healthy request mushrooms soup, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Continue to cook over the medium-high heat until it starts to boil.
- Add the frozen peas and cook until it boils again.1 cup frozen peas
- Lower to a simmer until you're ready to serve.½ teaspoon dried thyme