I've been feeling a bit out of sorts in the food department lately. Not making it to the store this past weekend means I'm living off the aging produce from the week before plus a few random items I grabbed at a quick Costco stop last week.
I'm also coming off a super busy July with lots of travel and work, and frankly, I've had zero energy to do much of anything.
That being said, I decided to have fun with lunch, "Chopped" style, and use what I had on hand. Today's mystery basket included:
- 1 package of cooked beets (I get this at Costco and I'm TOTALLY addicted.)
- 1 about-to-be-too-ripe avocado
- 1 zucchini from Mom's garden
- 1 overripe mango
I also happen to have a lime in the bottom of my fridge, some honey, of course, in my pantry AND fresh herbs from my small container garden.
The salad that emerged is truly something I would have never eaten just a few years ago, but my word was it GOOD! The combination and texture of beet, avocado and mango were amazing. The zucchini added bulk and soaked up the flavor of everything else. A cucumber may have been better to add some crunch, but I didn't have one, so zucchini it was.
Here's what I did. I hope it sparks some fun chopped salad experiments in your house!
- Juice of one lime (~1 tbsp)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 10 fresh mint leaves plus more for garnish
- ½ avocado, chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped, roasted beets
- ½ mango, chopped
Whisk lime juice, salt and honey in a small bowl to make the dressing. Add the fresh herbs and smash in to release their oils and flavor. Set aside.
Add the avocado, zucchini, beets and mango to a larger bowl. Drizzle with the lime dressing. Toss and enjoy!
Top with a few more fresh mint leaves.
Super easy and perfect for a summer lunch!
Chopped Beet, Avocado and Zucchini Salad With Thyme, Lime Juice and Fresh Mint
- Whisk lime juice, salt and honey in a small bowl to make the dressing. Add the fresh herbs and smash in to release their oils and flavor. Set aside.Juice of one lime, Pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon honey, 10 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Add the avocado, zucchini, beets and mango to a larger bowl. Drizzle with the lime dressing. Toss and enjoy!½ avocado, 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1 cup chopped, ½ mango
- Top with a few more fresh mint leaves.10 fresh mint leaves plus more for garnish