Yesterday I decided to rediscover simple foods.
Part of my cooking slump has to do with over thinking. So I did what I used to do, simply react to what I have on hand.
This is what I came up with...
Starting from top left around..,
- I ALWAYS have peppers and red ones have been on sales for weeks now. I'm in Red Pepper heaven!
- I try to keep a variety of beans stocked in the pantry, picking up cans anytime I see them on sale.
- Low Carb Tortilla. I don't eat "low carb" any more but I find them to be the lowest in calories too.
- Avocado. Little Bean eats at least a half of one a day. They are now always in stock at my house.
- Baby spinach, rarely without. It's my "lettuce" and bulkier for any sandwich, wrap, omelet or chili.
- And, of course, my wedge of The Laughing Cow cheese. I can't stress enough how happy I am to work with them. It's like a cheesy dream come true!
Put those 6 ingredients together and you have a fun, tasty, easy meal in minutes! Here's what I did…
- 1 Large Low Carb or Whole Grain Tortilla
- 1 oz Mashed Avocado (28g)
- 1 Wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco & Chipotle
- ¼ cup of cooked pinto beans (60g) (Mine came of out of a can)
- 2-3 strips of Red Bell Pepper chopped
- ½ cup raw spinach chopped (15g)
- Salsa not the side for dipping
Smear the avocado on one side of the tortilla and the cheese on the other.
This helps the everything stick.
Top one side with the beans.
Place on a heated non-stick skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. Medium-high works great.
Be sure to press while cooking to squish everything together.
Yes, I'm using my Ho Ho HO flipper in March. It's the biggest one I have. 🙂
Flip after 2-3 minutes. The tortilla should be brown and crispy.
Cook on the other side for another 2 minutes and viola! Done!
I cut mine with a pizza cutter into 3 triangles and stacked for photo effect. 🙂
Add some pepper strips on the side and salsa for dipping. It makes a great lunch!
As for Baby, well, he got one deconstructed and enjoyed every bite!
The pepper hanging out his mouth crack me up every time! That was the first time he really tried one on his own.
He loves the pinto beans and avocado and for cheese he got a cubed up…
Honestly, his favorite. 🙂 (You'll notice there isn't that much left in the picture!)
Sorry for the photo overload. *This* is what pulls me out of a food funk.
Nutritional info may vary depending on your tortilla brand. Stick with low carb for the lightest option. Here's what I got with a LaTortilla Factory Large Low Carb.
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|1||1 entire recipe|
|220||9g||17g||old: 4.5||new: 6|