I've never been a tuna salad person. I think we established that on my Garden Tuna Salad with Feta Post. But being home for lunch has me wanting to get creative and I always seem to have cans of tuna in the pantry. Nor sure why. Pair that with a crap load of veggies from the farm (I joined a CSA-learn more here) and you get things like this Spicy Garden Tuna.
I'm calling it "Garden" because I use fresh veggies from the the farm/garden and I'm calling it "Spicy" because... well... it's spicy. Genius, I know. 😉
You can of course make it as spicy as you like, or don't like. I was in the mood for something with bite so in addition to the hot peppers I had from the farm I added some green chili tabasco. It went awesome with the lime and cilantro. I also didn't add any onion but I can see some diced red onion is here as a nice addition. Here's what I did do...
- 1 can of tuna packed in water
- 3oz of fat free yogurt
- 1 carrot shredded
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 red or green peppers diced
- 2 hot peppers minced (I used a Serrano and a Green Chile)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- 1 teaspoon tabasco or too taste
This one is pretty easy. Just combine all the ingredients.
Here they are not combine...
Once combined make a sandwhich. 😉
You got love simple recipes. Of course you had to do all the chopping and such but that's not too too bad. 😉 By the way my "secret" with the carrot is to simply use a potato peeler to get thin strips. It's perfect when you want carrot in a salad like this without it being too hard or crunchy.
I served a cup of the salad on a new FlatOut Foldit bread with a bed of spinach and a side of carrot sticks. It's was a perfect lunch!
Spicy Garden Tuna Salad
- This one is pretty easy. Just combine all the ingredients.1 can of tuna packed in water, 3 oz of fat free yogurt, 1 carrot shredded, 2 tomatoes diced, 2 red or green peppers diced, 2 hot peppers minced, 1 bunch of fresh cilantro chopped, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon Lime juice, 1 teaspoon tabasco or too taste
- Once combined make a sandwhich.