Oh, how I missed my kitchen! It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I've been eating out more than I want to admit.
It all started two weekends ago with a trip for the Middlebury Maple Run Half Marathon -- click here for my recap -- I spent four days in beautiful Vermont and ate my weight in cheese -- totally worth every bite, by the way. I got home late Monday late from Vermont, caught up on work and the kids and then headed back on the road with The Husband for our annual anniversary trip. Every year we try to at least take a weekend getaway, just the two of us. It's done wonders for our marriage and this year was a big one for us: 15 years!
When we got home Sunday all I wanted to do was stock the fridge and start cooking. I love eating out as much as the next guy, but after a few days I'm over it and I start to miss my kitchen.
I kicked off this week with a big grocery shopping trip and I may have gone a little produce happy. The fruit in my house right now is insane. I have pineapple, mangos, apples, bananas, grapes, clementines, even figs. I bought figs. I never buy figs! I don't even know what to do with figs.
I decided to put a dent in the fruit stock and make myself something quick to grab for breakfast or lunch, and I'm really happy with the result. Mango and pineapple join forces in this really easy quinoa salad. I love the two together but when you add in a bunch of cilantro it takes the pair to a different level. As for the cooked, quinoa, I've been making it in batches and keeping it in the fridge. So fun to have on hand for quick dishes like this.
Here's what I did...
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 mango (200g of fruit)
- About 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (200g)
- 1 avocado
- 1 loosely packed cup of cilantro (20g)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (340g)
Whisk the lemon juice, honey, olive oil and salt together to make the dressing. Set aside.
Cube the mango, pineapple, and avocado.
Run a knife through the cilantro just to break it up a bit.
Toss the quinoa with the cilantro, fruit and dressing.
Quinoa, Pineapple and Mango Salad With Avocado
- Whisk the lemon juice, honey, olive oil and salt together to make the dressing. Set aside.1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, Pinch of salt
- Cube the mango, pineapple, and avocado.1 mango, About 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, 1 avocado
- Run a knife through the cilantro just to break it up a bit.1 loosely packed cup of cilantro
- Toss the quinoa with the cilantro, fruit and dressing.2 cups cooked quinoa