Did you know you can buy precooked quinoa?
I didn't! I found that bag in Target. Haven't seen it anywhere else yet but I have a feeling it will catch on.
Of course you could cook up your own batch but having things like this in your pantry is a great way to be prepared when you just don't have time or, let's face it, the energy.
Today was one of those days. I wanted something yummy for lunch but I was short on time. So I rummaged through the pantry and pulled out a few things that inspired me.
I wish I had some greens (kale or spinach would have been great) to bulk this up but I was short on fresh ingredients. It didn't matter though, the resulting salad was YUMMY.
The combination of beet and quinoa is fantastic. There's something about the earthy beet and the nutty seed, add in the feta and BAM: A perfect trifecta!
Here's what I did...
- 1 8oz can sliced beets (drained with 1 tablespoon of the liquid reserved)
- 1 Package of cooked quinoa (or about 2 cups of your own)
- 2 oz (56g) crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (21g) tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Healthy pinch of kosher salt
Drain the beets, reserving some of the liquid for the dressing. Roughly chop them into bite-sized pieces.
Add the beets, quinoa and feta in a bowl.
In a another bowl whisk the lemon juice, honey, parsley, thyme and salt with the reserved beet juice.
Pour the dressing over the quinoa, beets and feta. Toss.
Pour a cup of the salad onto a plate and sprinkle with dried parsley.
I really thought 1 cup wouldn't be enough of a serving (I like bigger portions) but based on the nutritional information I decided to give it a chance. It was VERY satisfying!
I packed up the rest for tomorrow! To be honest. I might have it for breakfast. 🙂
Quinoa, Beet and Feta Salad
- Drain the beets, reserving some of the liquid for the dressing. Roughly chop them into bite-sized pieces.1 8 oz can sliced beets
- Add the beets, quinoa and feta in a bowl.1 Package of cooked quinoa, 2 oz 56g crumbled feta
- In a another bowl whisk the lemon juice, honey, parsley, thyme and salt with the reserved beet juice.1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 21g tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, Healthy pinch of kosher salt
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa, beets and feta. Toss.
- Pour a cup of the salad onto a plate and sprinkle with dried parsley.