Leftover brown rice and leftover sauce meet in this quick lunch idea inspired by my favorite food of all time: Pizza.
I swear I can turn anything into a pizza concoction. Have you seen all my pizza ideas? I've used everything from pumpkin to zucchini, polenta to wontons. Nothing is off limits when it comes to me and pizza. Not even rice.
I made this for lunch but I can totally see a bigger batch as a fun side dish for dinner with some grilled chicken breast on the side. Or you could even bulk it up with more veggies adding some turkey sausage for a complete meal.
Here's what I did...
- 2 Thick Slices of Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped (I used red)
- 6 small slices of turkey pepperoni cut into think strips (15g)
- ½ cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 cup raw spinach chopped
- ¼ cup of pizza sauce (I used my homemade)
- ½ oz (14g) fancy shredded mozzarella cheese
- dried oregano and red pepper flakes to taste
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Saute the onion and peppers. Add the rice, pepperoni and spinach. Continue to saute until the spinach cooks down.
Add the sauce and toss everything together until warmed through.
Remove from the skillet and top with the cheese immediately so it melts a little.
Sprinkle with oregano and red pepper flakes to taste!
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|290||6g||7g||old: 5.5||new: 7|