The Husband and I have committed to eating out less which is fantastic! However, it also means I haven't gotten to experience my favorite soup of the season, Panera's Autumn Squash Soup.
So I peeked at the ingredient list online and tried my hand at a home version using what I had in the pantry.
The result was delicious! I can't claim it's a "copycat" recipe or anything. To be honest, I'm not sure how close it is because it's been quite a while since I've had the Panera version, but regardless, this soup is my new favorite! And I've added things I otherwise wouldn't have if I didn't see look at the ingredient list.
I think the secret is the lite cream cheese. I decided to use it exclusively instead of adding additional cream, so it kept it super light.
Since my entire household is anti-butternut (I've given up making them even try it), I gave a couple of servings to Mom who said it was delicious. If you make it let me know. You know how moms can be, anything their kid makes is delicious.
Panera-Inspired Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped ~175g
- 1 butternut squash cubed ~800g
- 2 carrots chopped ~100g
- 1 apple chopped ~90g
- 1 chunk fresh ginger chopped 20g
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ground
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary dried
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cardamon
- 4 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 oz Neufchatel cheese light cream cheese
- Sautee the onion, squash, carrots, apple, ginger, and spices with the oil in a large soup pot. Once things start to caramelize a bit add the broth and lemon juice. Bring to a low boil. Continue to cook until the butternut softens enough to puree, about 30 minutes.1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 onion chopped, 1 butternut squash cubed, 2 carrots chopped, 1 apple chopped, 1 chunk fresh ginger chopped, ½ teaspoon curry powder, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon rosemary, ¼ teaspoon white pepper, ⅛ teaspoon Cardamon, 4 cup broth, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Add the cheese and puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a traditional blender.2 oz Neufchatel cheese
- I roasted the butternut squash seeds with salt in a 225-degree oven until dry, maybe 20 minutes. They made the perfect topping!
- I've been bringing 2 cups of this to work for lunch and adding 3-4 ounces of cooked chicken to boost the protein. It makes a great meal!
- I used chicken broth but you can use vegetarian if you like.
Looking for other Fall Soup ideas? Check out my Pumpkin Soup with Turkey and Kale.