One of my most popular recipes on GreenLiteBites is something I literally whipped up in minutes. I never expected it to be pinned almost half a million times.
The idea is a simple Chickpea and Tomato Salad that uses a quick homemade dressing and some fresh basil.
It’s my go-to when I have to bring a dish for a summer party.
I love chickpeas -- they are so easy and versatile. By using them as the base of a salad instead of just a topper, you get a good balance of fiber and protein. A winning combo for a light dish, it helps with fullness in my opinion.
They are also very easy to work with. Add a veggie or two, flavor with a simple dressing, and you're done.
Yesterday I took inspiration from the mojito (a favorite drink of mine) and the result was one of the freshest, most satisfying salads I’ve ever eaten. The cucumber with the mint was an amazing combo!
Here’s what I did.
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large seedless English cucumber, chopped
Whisk the lime juice, honey and salt together.
Add the mint and smash with a wooden spoon to release the oils and help flavor the dressing.
Add the chickpeas and cucumber and toss.
Eat immediately or let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. I just finished the leftovers and it tastes even fresher the next day! The mint leaves do wilt a bit.
I measured out about 4 cups in the final dish so I’ll base nutritional information on that although I can see this being a meal or a side dish depending on the situation. Last night I had about ¼ cup on the side with dinner and today I ate about 2 cups for a quick meal.
Oh! I should add both kids didn't like it. They're crazy. It was amazing!
Mojito-Style Chickpea Salad
- Whisk the lime juice, honey and salt together.3 tablespoon lime juice, 1 tablespoon honey, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the mint and smash with a wooden spoon to release the oils and help flavor the dressing.¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- Add the chickpeas and cucumber and toss.1 15 oz can of chickpeas, 1 large seedless English cucumber
- Eat immediately or let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. I just finished the leftovers and it tastes even fresher the next day! The mint leaves do wilt a bit.