The flavors of jalapeño poppers in a super fun, light, turkey burger!
After reposting my Turkey and Black Bean Burgers, I had a burst of inspiration on Memorial Day.
It's been a while since I experiment with a new Turkey Burger idea and I forgot how much fun it is. Ground turkey is such an excellent conduit for flavor as it's not, well, as "beefy" as beef.
Inspired by the simplicity of jalapeño Poppers, I loaded these burgers with jalapenos and scallions.
Then grilled them and topped with cream cheese.
Notice, only one has cheese. That's because I knew I was the only one who would eat these. At least that's what I thought!
After eating his regular beef burger, the teen asked if he could try one of mine. He just added a squirt of ketchup and said it was good. I have to keep reminding myself how much of a food experimenter he is. The 9-Year-Old has calloused me. He, of course, needed to be persuaded to eat just half a regular burger.
They really couldn't be more different. It's amazing!
Anyway, I hope these inspire you. Don't forget to have fun with your food. 🙂
Jalapeño Popper Inspired Turkey Burgers
Yield 4 Burger Patties
The flavors of jalapeño poppers in a super fun, light, turkey burger! Spicy up burger night with this super easy turkey burger recipe.
- 1 lb 93% Lean Ground Turkey
- 3 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Oats (40g)
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat your grill or grill pan on medium-high.
Combine all ingredients and form into four patties.
Place on the hot grill and cook for about 4-5 aside.
Top with cream cheese for that jalapeno popper texture and flavor!
- I removed the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno, but you can leave them or more heat. I will probably do that next time.
- Use the whole scallion, white and green parts.
- Lots of people have told me their turkey burgers don't stay together. I think the secret is in the cooking process, not ingredients. Make sure your grill is nice and hot. There should be a sizzle when you place them. Then, leave them alone for at least four minutes until you can see them about halfway cooked. Doing so will create a nice sear and grill mark. If your turkey burgers are sticking, it probably means you are trying to flip them too soon.
- I topped my first one with cream cheese but then ran out. A wedge of Laughing Cow works just as good and is a little lighter!
- Nutritional information is just for the patty.
Serving Size 1 burger patty
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Total Carbohydrates 8 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 23 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.