Grilled Grouper with Parsnip Puree and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto marks the third week The Husband and I stayed in for "Fancy Friday" -- a new tradition I started to have more fun cooking at home.
We kicked it off with a Bacon Seared Scallops and Roasted Cauliflower over Carrot Puree and topped with a fresh Cilantro-Pistachio Pesto -- click here to check it out on IG -- and we got hooked. I enjoyed the entire process of unwinding on Friday night in the kitchen knowing we had nowhere to be and nothing to do. It was just, so, chill. We paired it with a bottle of Chardonnay. Plus, the kids got to try some new things, and we hung out as a family.
Last week, I went a bit more traditional and roasted a chicken in my cast iron pan. However, I served it with a cauliflower puree and roasted carrots instead of the classic mashed potatoes. The kids weren't too thrilled, but we all fell in love with the Lemon Rosemary Sauce I made from the chicken drippings. And I discovered the Husband actually likes Cauliflower puree!
Last night, I made a super Fancy Friday for Vantine's Day that even included dessert -- simply Grilled Grouper served over Parsnip Puree and on the side, Shiitake Mushroom Risotto.
The grouper was just seared with salt and pepper, so super easy and took moments to cook. The parsnip puree was the perfect compliment to the grouper and paired exceptionally well. I used the base formula from Chefs Step's Carrot Puree -- that website never disappoints! The risotto, well, it was my first time making it, so I basically stuck to the formula on the Arborio rice container - this is the one I used. Even the kids loved the risotto! This may become a new family tradition.
For dessert, I made tiny cheesecakes.
I'm not too comfortable shared the recipe yet, as I didn't measure everything. It was more cooking from the heart loosely based on this one I from FoodNetwork. Everyone loved them! Except for the 8-Year-Old, of course. He didn't even like my raspberry sauce, which was a huge hit with everyone else, and it was so simple -- just some frozen raspberries, maple syrup, lemon zest, and salt.
He's the recipe for Grilled Grouper with Parsnip Puree and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto, I'll be back with the mini-cheesecakes as I think the teen is going to be requesting them again in the near future.
Grilled Grouper with Parsnip Puree and Shiitake Mushroom Risotto
- 24 oz raw Grouper Fillets
- 500 g parsnips sliced thin
- 1 stick of butter separated
- 4 g of salt ~⅛ tsp
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ of a sweet onion chopped
- 1 package of Shiitake mushrooms 3.5 oz
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice 184g
- 3 cups of chicken broth or stock separated
- Chives for garnish optional
- Pat the grouper filets dry. Salt and pepper both sides, set aside.4 g of salt
- In a small saucepan, add the parsnips, ¾ of the stick of butter, salt, and about ½ cup of water. Cover and bring to a boil then lower to simmer. Continue to simmer until soft. Once soft, remove from heat and set aside, covered to keep warm.500 g parsnips sliced thin, 1 stick of butter
- While the parsnips are cooking, start the risotto by adding oil and the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and mushrooms and saute until they soften--about 5 minutes. Add the rice to the skillet and stir, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then add 1 cup of the broth and stir until absorbed. Once absorbed, stir in another cup of broth and stir until it is absorbed. Repeat this process with the remaining cup of broth.2 tablespoon olive oil, ½ of a sweet onion chopped, 1 package of Shiitake mushrooms, 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice, 3 cups of chicken broth or stock
- When the risotto is about halfway finished, heat a skillet or grill pan for the fish.
- When the risotto is about finished, grill the grouper about 2-3 minutes a side until they are slightly firm to the touch and opaque through.
- When the risotto is finished, puree the parsnips with an immersion blender or transfer to a processor.
- Plate ¼ of the parsnip puree and top with a grouper fillet and ¼ of risotto on the side. Sprinkle some chives on top.24 oz raw Grouper Fillets, Chives for garnish
- I started with 2 lbs parnsips and used my mandalin to slice for even cooking.
- Pair with a simple Pinot Grigio!