Ok, I'll be the first to admit it. That doesn't sounds appetizing at ALL!
BUT it's the smoothie I make more than any other smoothie hands down, and it's time I share the specifics.
First though, let me apologize for my short hiatus. Last week I was in NYC for the BlogHer conference.
I spoke at Healthminder day, launched a new Travel Blog and partied like it was, well, 1979. Safe to say I've done NO cooking (or grocery shopping) since Tuesday of last week. When I woke up to a house with no eggs (my go-to breakfast) I decide to whip up my favorite smoothie instead.
According to NutritionData.com this concoction is a good source of Iron, Phosphorus and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese. It's under 200 calories and you can make it super quick while grumpy babies tug at your pant legs.
Yea, it was one of those days. I wouldn't have had time to eat even if I wanted to.
Anyway, this recipe isn't super sweet and isn't suppose to be. The dark chocolate with blueberries is the perfect favor combination in my opinion. The spinach is undetectable and the protein powder makes it that fun smoothie texture. If you like yours a little sweeter add a half of ripe banana or a little honey, but try it first without, you may be surprised!
- 2 cups raw spinach (44g)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (100g)
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (like Any Whey)
- 2 tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder (like Special from Hershey's)
- 4-6 oz of Unsweetened almond milk (I start with 4 and add a splash more if needed)
Put everything in the blender or bullet.
Blend until smooth.
The 7 year old said he didn't like it because blueberries and chocolate don't "go together only strawberries and chocolate do." He's welcome to his opinion of course, but I told him he was crazy. 😉
Dark Chocolate Blueberry Protein and Spinach Smoothie
- 2 cups raw spinach 44g
- 1 cup frozen blueberries 100g
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder like Any Whey
- 2 tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder like Special from Hershey's
- 4-6 oz of Unsweetened almond milk I start with 4 and add a splash more if needed
- Put everything in the blender or bullet.2 cups raw spinach, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 scoop unflavored protein powder, 2 tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder, 4-6 oz of Unsweetened almond milk
- Blend until smooth.