Oh. My. WORD! This was AMAZING!
I don't know what posed me to make it. I just came home from a run. I wasn't really hungry but knew I should eat something. So I whipped this up.
The flavors together are simply PERFECT. At least I think so. Dark chocolate! Banana! Almonds! I go gaga over each separately but together? Even tastier.
I used some specific brand name items in this idea which I normally try to avoid so I feel the need to explain each one a little.
I used the cocoa roasted almonds but I'm sure regular would be fine too. I'm just obsessed with this particular kind from Emerald. Even the Little Guy loves them. They add a wonderful texture to the smoothie. I only used ½ oz to keep the calories/fat low, but now that I've made it I think using more would actually make it too gritty. Unless, that is, you has some crazy blender that would pulverize them to dust. I used my Magic Bullet.
I also used Hershey's Special Dark chocolate powder. This stuff is like crack to me. All the awesomeness of regular unsweetened cocoa powder but dark. If you can find it (normally out around the holidays or you can get it here online) it's a fabulous addition to your pantry.
Finally, the almond milk. Again, I'm a huge fan but you could probably use regular skim or even soy. If you do , maybe put just a small dash of almond extract or even vanilla just to give it a boost of flavor.
Here's what I did…
- 1 medium ripe banana (a little brown)
- 6oz Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon (5g) Dark Cocoa Powder
- ½ oz (14g) of Cocoa Roasted Almonds
- About 10 ice cubes
Put all the ingredients in the blender except the ice cubes. Blend until smooth. Add the ice cubes, blend again.
Disclaimer: I have no relationship with any of the brands listed here.
Dark Chocolate Banana Almond Smoothie
- 1 medium ripe banana a little brown
- 6 oz Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon 5g Dark Cocoa Powder
- ½ oz 14g of Cocoa Roasted Almonds
- About 10 ice cubes
- Put all the ingredients in the blender except the ice cubes. Blend until smooth. Add the ice cubes, blend again.1 medium ripe banana, 6 oz Almond Milk, 1 tablespoon 5g Dark Cocoa Powder, ½ oz 14g of Cocoa Roasted Almonds, About 10 ice cubes