Last week I visited my local GNC justs to peruse. I'm becoming a total dork about protein products, and I like to read all the labels to see what they have in them and such. The women behind the counter saw me pick up and read just about everything in the store, so she finally asked if I was looking for something in particular. Not really, I told her, just looking around. I never buy flavored protein powders, and I was just curious what's in them.
She was shocked about my aversion to flavored protein powders. I told her my whole philosophy about going unflavored because it gives me the most flexibility. I could mix it with whatever fruits I want or go with cocoa powder or add it to Jello, whatever. Plus, it's not full of sweeteners and such.
We continued to chat for a bit about my current goals. I mentioned I wanted to potentially try a flavored brand for a quick option since I was currently upping my protein intake. She recommended the Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein and said chocolate was her favorite. I decided to give it a try.
It's not bad, but it's also not great. I'd still much rather go with unflavored and mix it with whatever I want, but I have enjoyed the ease of just plopping a scoop in some water and shaking. Plus, the pre-flavored chocolate is easy to use in other fun ways, like this yogurt idea.
I came up with this one last week for a dessert of sorts when I had quite a bit of protein left at the end of the day. I've made it at least five times since. It's become quite an obsession.
The chocolate-blueberry combo is tasty, the nibs add a great crunch, and the blueberries start to melt, making the texture almost luxurious.
I love having something so high in protein be so sweet and easy. It's a great breakfast or a perfect late night snack.
Chocolate Blueberry Protein Yogurt
Yield 1 serving
Chocolate Blueberry Protein Yogurt makes a great summer breakfast or dessert. It's fast, easy and super high in protein (42g).
- ¾ cup unflavored Greek yogurt (170g)
- 1 scoop chocolate flavored protein powder
- ½ cup frozen wild blueberries (70g)
- 5g cocoa nibs
MIx the yogurt and protein powder together until smooth. Stir in most of the blueberries (I reserved 10g or so to sprinkle on the top). Top with cocoa nibs.
- I used this protein powder.
- I used these blueberries. LOVE THEM!
- I used these cocoa nibs.
- The great thing about this recipe if you are counting macros is the ability to adjust the amount of protein. I've used as little as 10g and as much as the whole scoop as I posted here. All amount are yummy! Of course the more you use, the sweeter and more chocolaty it gets but you only need about ⅓ of the protein powder to get a touch of sweetness with the yogurt.
- You can also adjust the amount of blueberries to meet your carb goal.
- The nibs are my crunch. You can skip if you are light on fat and replace with granola or even chocolate chips.
Courses Breakfast, snack, dessert
Serving Size entire recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Total Carbohydrates 19 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 43 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.