When I started GreenLiteBites back in -- omg, I can't believe I'm about to say this -- 2007, I averaged about a video a week. YouTube was NOT what it is today. My videos were raw and barely edited. Some included the kids as we tried new vegetables or cooked together. Some were just ideas I thought fun to share.
My mission was to show other people and moms it was possible to cook nutritious food at home with your kids. My food ideas weren't perfect, but I always thought trying was half the battle. That's the message I wanted to spread -- have fun!
As the kids got older, it got harder to keep up a video schedule and then, well, you know the rest. I had a bit of a blogging identity crisis.
Anyway, I'm giving the videos a try again. I recorded the video above on Monday and had an absolute blast.
As for the smoothie idea, this one is a favorite of mine. I make it all the time. I hope it inspires you.
Almond Joy Protein Smoothie
Yield 1 serving
Almond Joy Smoothie combines the yumminess of cocoa, almonds, and coconut packed in a high protein smoothie. It's like dessert for breakfast!
- 1 ripe banana, frozen (~110g)
- 150g liquid egg white (The kind in the carton)
- 10 roasted almonds (~13g)
- 1 scoop unflavored whey protein
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp almond extract (or less to taste)
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
Blend until smooth.
Courses Breakfast, Snack, Dessert
Serving Size entire recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9 g
Total Carbohydrates 33 g
Dietary Fiber 10 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 37 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.