I know this idea isn't going to go over well with the beet haters out there, but I can't deny my love of beets any longer! The older I get, the more my love of them grows. What is that all about? It's the same with Brussels Sprouts, mushrooms and cabbage. These are all things I'd turn my nose up at as a kid. Now, I can't get enough.
Anyway, I've been home this week for spring break, and it's been fantastic. The Husband and I took a two-day staycation, I cleaned my office, and now I'm prepping for my biggest Easter dinner yet. We have thirteen people coming over. It's going to be fantastic!
I was hoping to experiment with a few more recipe ideas but time got away from me. Today I was craving beets for some reason and decided to pair them with tuna for a protein boost. The result was this super filling protein-packed dish.
Oh! And I use scallions in it -- another recent obsession of mine. They have been on sale for a buck a bushel, and I'm finding all sorts of fun ways to use them.
Spring Tuna Salad Over Beets
- Chop the scallions separating the white and green parts. Set aside.
- Whisk the oil, lemon juice, and maple syrup with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper to make the dressing.1 teaspoon olive oil, juice of one lemon, ½ tablespoon maple syrip, Salt and pepper
- Drain the can of tuna and then toss it with dressing and scallion whites. Set aside.2 scallions, 1 7 oz chunk light tuna packed in water
- Drain the can of beets and pour them onto a small plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and dried mint leaves.sprinkle of dried mint leaves
- Top the beats with the tuna salad. Sprinkle scallion greens on top. Enjoy!1 15 oz can of cut beats
- This is a healthy serving. I almost didn't finish but it was so good I kept going back for more!
- If you don't have dried mint, don't worry about it. It will still be delish without it. I just love mint and beets together and it added a nice touch for me.
- If you aren't a beet fan, this base tuna salad would go good with just about anything, a bed of greens, in a pita, served with crackers, anything.