Originally posted in 2010.
I’m so glad I noticed the aging mango on the counter this morning. It’s what inspired this dish. I was hungry, and I thought it would be fun to build a meal around the mango.
So I dug through the pantry and fridge. First, I remembered I still had some fresh herbs from last weeks farm trip. SCORE!
Next, I thought.. ok... I need some kind of base to the meal... whole wheat couscous in the pantry! YES!
Hmmmmm the dish needs a protein. Something to bulk it up a bit and help keep me full... Black Beans. Have those in the pantry too!
This is getting better.
Finally, I thought.. heat. Something to counterbalance the sweet mango. Tabasco…. no. Red Pepper flakes…. too harsh. OH! Look at that! A hot pepper from the farm. This is too good to be true.
That was precisely how it went down as I rummaged through my kitchen around 11 AM this morning. The result of that little brainstorm was DELICIOUS! Next time I may add some orange juice when I cook the couscous or some other sweet dressing of some kind as the bites I had without a mango needed a bit of sweetness but other than that this flavor combo came out fantastic.
Mango Black Bean Couscous Salad
Yield 4 servings
Mango Black Bean Couscous Salad is full of flavor and takes minutes to prepare! Enjoy it as a hearty meal or fun side dish.
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp olive oil (10g)
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe mango chopped into small cubed
- Fresh Chives (about 2 tbsp diced)
- Fresh Cilantro (about ⅓ of a cup chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (like a jalapeno) minced
First cook the couscous. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Add the couscous, stir, cover and leave alone for at least 5 minutes. It will absorb all the liquid.
While waiting on the couscous get all your other ingredients ready.
Put everything in the bowl. Toss
Cover and put in the fridge to cool for as long as you can stand it. I only lasted 10 minutes before I started chomping away. I just couldn’t help myself.
- I use RiceSelect Organic Whole Wheat Couscous - click here to see it.
- I measured out four 1 cup servings and still has some leftover so I’m counting a serving as a cup but it’s a little more. If using this as a side dish you could easily get 8-10 half cup servings out of it. I ate 2 cups and called it lunch.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3 g
Total Carbohydrates 40 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.