Originally posted in 2010.
I’m so glad I noticed the aging mango on the counter this morning. It’s what inspired this dish. I was hungry, and I thought it would be fun to build a meal around the mango.
So I dug through the pantry and fridge. First, I remembered I still had some fresh herbs from last weeks farm trip. SCORE!
Next, I thought.. ok... I need some kind of base to the meal... whole wheat couscous in the pantry! YES!
Hmmmmm the dish needs a protein. Something to bulk it up a bit and help keep me full... Black Beans. Have those in the pantry too!
This is getting better.
Finally, I thought.. heat. Something to counterbalance the sweet mango. Tabasco…. no. Red Pepper flakes…. too harsh. OH! Look at that! A hot pepper from the farm. This is too good to be true.
That was precisely how it went down as I rummaged through my kitchen around 11 AM this morning. The result of that little brainstorm was DELICIOUS! Next time I may add some orange juice when I cook the couscous or some other sweet dressing of some kind as the bites I had without a mango needed a bit of sweetness but other than that this flavor combo came out fantastic.
Mango Black Bean Couscous Salad
- First cook the couscous. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Add the couscous, stir, cover and leave alone for at least 5 minutes. It will absorb all the liquid.½ cup Whole Wheat Couscous, 1 cup of water
- While waiting on the couscous get all your other ingredients ready.
- Put everything in the bowl. Toss2 teaspoon olive oil, 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed, 1 ripe mango chopped into small cubed, Fresh Chives, Fresh Cilantro, 1 hot pepper
- Cover and put in the fridge to cool for as long as you can stand it. I only lasted 10 minutes before I started chomping away. I just couldn’t help myself.
- I use RiceSelect Organic Whole Wheat Couscous - click here to see it.
- I measured out four 1 cup servings and still has some leftover so I’m counting a serving as a cup but it’s a little more. If using this as a side dish you could easily get 8-10 half cup servings out of it. I ate 2 cups and called it lunch.