Originally posted October 2012.
Last week at the farm stand I was shocked to find some nice-sized zucchini. I thought they were out of season, but with the warmer weather, some plants are still producing.
I happened to have an extra 4oz of ground turkey hanging around, and I decided to use it, a small habanero pepper, and some Laughing Cow as the basis for a simple stuffing.
The result was better than I ever could have anticipated. I left the zucchini’s raw to give the dish some crunch, and it made the perfect edible vessel. I was able to pick these right up and take some yummy cheesy bites. No fork needed and SUPER filling!
Here’s how I made them...
Cheesy Kale and Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 oz lean ground turkey raw
- 1 large Zucchini
- 1 habanero or other hot pepper
- 3-4 Curly Kale Leaves
- Kosher Salt
- 2 Wedges of The Laughing Cow Cheese Spread Garden Vegetable
- Sprinkle of Chili Powder
- Cut the zucchini in half. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini as close to the skin as possible while still keeping the halves integrity to hold the stuffing.1 large Zucchini
- Chop the zucchini flesh.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground turkey with the zucchini.4 oz lean ground turkey raw
- Dice the habanero and add it to the skillet.1 habanero
- Chop the kale and add it as well.3-4 Curly Kale Leaves
- Cook everything down allowing all the flavors to merge.
- Toss the warm turkey and vegetable mixture with the 2 wedges of Laughing Cow and stir until well combined. The cheese will melt making a yummy, gooey sauce.2 Wedges of The Laughing Cow Cheese Spread Garden Vegetable, Kosher Salt
- Scoop the mixture back into the zucchini boats and sprinkle with a bit of chili powder.Sprinkle of Chili Powder
- I'm not sure Laughing Cow still makes the Garden Vegetable, if you can't find it, the herb would be good or even just plain old cream cheese.
- I did use a habanero but if you aren't a hear person just skip!