Originally posted October 2012.
Last week at the farm stand I was shocked to find some nice-sized zucchini. I thought they were out of season, but with the warmer weather, some plants are still producing.
I happened to have an extra 4oz of ground turkey hanging around, and I decided to use it, a small habanero pepper, and some Laughing Cow as the basis for a simple stuffing.
The result was better than I ever could have anticipated. I left the zucchini’s raw to give the dish some crunch, and it made the perfect edible vessel. I was able to pick these right up and take some yummy cheesy bites. No fork needed and SUPER filling!
Here’s how I made them...
Cheesy Kale and Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Yield 1 serving
Cheesy Kale and Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a fun, protein-packed lunch option. Who needs bread when we have zucchini!
- 4 oz lean ground turkey raw
- 1 large Zucchini
- 1 habanero (or other hot pepper)
- 3-4 Curly Kale Leaves
- Kosher Salt
- 2 Wedges of The Laughing Cow Cheese Spread Garden Vegetable
- Sprinkle of Chili Powder
Cut the zucchini in half. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini as close to the skin as possible while still keeping the halves integrity to hold the stuffing.
Chop the zucchini flesh.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground turkey with the zucchini.
Dice the habanero and add it to the skillet.
Chop the kale and add it as well.
Cook everything down allowing all the flavors to merge.
Toss the warm turkey and vegetable mixture with the 2 wedges of Laughing Cow and stir until well combined. The cheese will melt making a yummy, gooey sauce.
Scoop the mixture back into the zucchini boats and sprinkle with a bit of chili powder.
- I'm not sure Laughing Cow still makes the Garden Vegetable, if you can't find it, the herb would be good or even just plain old cream cheese.
- I did use a habanero but if you aren't a hear person just skip!
Serving Size entire recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Total Carbohydrates 24 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 39 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.