Well, it’s already Monday but I started this on Saturday, and it’s taken me this long to get it posted. I can’t seem to carve out more than an hour or so on the weekends to get on the computer anymore. Regardless, I’ve had the best weekend after a pretty rough week, so I’m in a happy, chipper kind of mood. Mainly because I’m over that nasty stomach virus, I wouldn’t wish that sucker on my worst enemy. I haven’t been that sick in a long time. It takes a lot for me to be out for the count and even I had to cancel two days of classes!
Last Wednesday I started to feel much better, and now I’m just trying to dig myself out of the hole it caused with grading and prep. Such is the life of a teacher.
Anyway, I wanted to pop in and share a fantastic salad I made that came out way better than I expected. Since I was sick the first half of the week I didn’t eat much so I found myself left with a few random things in my fridge that I needed to use up. Two of those things were a bag of “Rainbow Salad” and a package of pre-cooked southwestern grilled chicken.
I pulled them together with a quick vinaigrette, and it was the perfect combo of fresh-premade and spicy-sweet.
Rainbow Salad with Chicken and Maple Cayenne Vinaigrette may become my new go-to for fast weekday lunch prep. It’s a little heartier than a traditional salad with all the raw crunchy veggies it has in it, and I can grill some extra chicken when I make breasts for the family. Here’s how I made this batch.
Rainbow Salad with Chicken and Maple Cayenne Vinaigrette
Yield 2 servings
Rainbow Salad with Chicken and Maple Cayenne Vinaigrette is a quick, easy and tasty salad idea using a couple of premade ingredients and combining them with a fresh vinaigrette.
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (15ml)
- Juice of 1 lemon (~1 oz)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- healthy pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (21g)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (10ml)
- 6 oz Southwestern Grilled Chicken Breast Strips
- 1 12oz bag of Rainbow Salad Mix
Whisk all ingredients together except the chicken and vegetables to make the dressing.
Toss the veggies and chicken with the salad.
Separate into 2 servings.
- If you can't find the Rainbow Salad mix, a broccoli slaw would work just as good!
- Same with the chicken, 6 oz of any precooked or leftover grilled chicken would work great.
- I ate one serving immediately, but the salad did get better as it sat.
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper is quite spicy. Make sure to adjust to your taste.
Courses lunch, dinner
Serving Size 1/2 the recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Total Carbohydrates 21 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 12 g
Protein 24 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.