This is a slight reboot of a recipe I posted last year simply called Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili. Staying true to my use-what-I-have-on-hand roots I, well, used what I had on hand and made a similar dish with a spicy twist. Topping the result with avocado added a cool creaminess that really made it a complete meal.
All I have time for this week is a repost. I've been a bit preoccupied at work. The first two weeks of the semester are crazy!
I did, however, add a new section on my personal blog to share my teaching ideas. Call it therapy.
Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Avocado was originally posted in March 2010.
I could make this ten different ways! Remember to use what you have on the hand. The key to the recipe is the combination of black bean, sweet potato, and diced tomatoes. Everything else can vary based on your taste and what you have in the fridge and pantry. Have fun with it!
Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Avocado
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 sweet potato with skin
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- splash of tabasco optional
- 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado
- Dried cilantro and finely shredded mexican cheese blend for garnish
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and cook the onions with a small pinch of salt until just turning transparent and slightly browning.1 small sweet onion chopped
- While the onion is cooking, cut up the sweet potato into small cubes. Add the sweet potato to the pot with the onion.1 sweet potato with skin
- Continue to cook and occasional toss while you chop the green pepper. Add the pepper to the pot and the dry spices. Toss.1 bell pepper, ¼-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on taste
- At this point your pot will be getting dry and possibly sticking. That’s ok. Add the can of diced tomatoes plus ⅓ a can of water and scrape up all that yummy goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add the lime juice and tabasco.1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilis, splash of tabasco
- Add black beans and stir everything together.1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- Bring the chili to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes covered and then another 10 minutes or so uncovered until the sweet potato softens a bit.1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- Serve 1 cup with 2 slices of avocado (~20g,) a pinch of Mexican cheese blend and a sprinkle of dried cilantro on top.1 avocado, Dried cilantro and finely shredded mexican cheese blend for garnish