I don’t know WHAT came over me tonight. I was planning on tacos for dinner but the weather called for a much more comforting dish. Looking in the cupboard and seeing an old package of taco seasoning and a box of quinoa this idea smacked me across the face.
The husband tried it, said it was ok and then proceeded to make something for himself. He just isn’t a “stew man”. He doesn’t like one pot meals which SUCKS because I LOVE them, especially in the cold winter months. It’s ok by me I now have 5 lunches for work!
- Small onion diced
- 8 oz 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 small sweet pepper chopped (red, orange or yellow)
- 1 package of taco seasoning (preferably low sodium)
- 15 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 14 oz can of broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
- 1 cup (170 g) quinoa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional)
In a large pot sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, brown the ground turkey and onion over medium heat.
Add the zucchini, peppers and taco seasoning. Stir to coat all the vegetables with the seasoning.
Add the beans and diced tomatoes broth and quinoa. Turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer about 20 minutes until quinoa soaks up most of the liquid.
Stir in the lime juice and serve! I sprinkled a bit of shredded Mexican cheese blend on top.
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|6||Just over a cup|
|274||3g||8g||old: 5||new: 6|