A few months ago, I picked up my first bagged salad kit. You know the ones, with the dressing and toppings all included?
Well, I immediately fell in love with the first one I tried. It's called Sunflower Crunch, and it includes a sweet onion dressing, bacon bits, and sunflower seeds. It was delicious! However, I ended up throwing away more than half the dressing because it was simply too much. I'm not a fan of overdressed, soggy salads. I liked the flavor of the dressing though, so I continued to buy a bag now and then throwing away this extra dressing every time.
Then the idea hit me -- why not stretch the dressing by adding another bag of veggies? More salad... no waste... win-win!
The next time I bought a bag I also picked up some coleslaw mix which is just ready to eat shredded green cabbage and carrots. That day I came home, mixed everything, and had a giant bowl of salad awesomeness.
Now, the salad is yummy enough, but for lunch, I need a bit more protein. So I decided to add a little pre-cooked turkey and viola!
Lunch prep in minutes! It doesn't get any easier than this, people -- three ingredients, no cooking, and four ready-made lunches for about $10!
Food Prep: Sunflower Crunch Salad with Turkey
Yield 4 servings
Food Prep: Sunflower Crunch Salad with Turkey is the easiest and cheapest way to make lunch ahead for the week. Three store-bought ingredients and you are good to go!
- 1 bag (14 oz ea.), Sunflower Crunch Salad Kit
- 1 bag Classic Coleslaw mix
- 16oz precooked turkey breast cut into cubes
Combine the two bags of salad mix, toss with the dressing and toppings from the kit and toss together.
Separate into 4 serving containers.
Cube the precooked turkey and top each salad with 4oz.
Top and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Depending on how fresh the salad bags are these can easy last up to a week in the fridge. Make on Sunday and have lunch ready all week!
- Any salad kit would work, of course. Try to spread your favorite with a bag of coleslaw or other mixed greens based on the veggies in the kit.
Serving Size ¼ of the recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 17 g
Total Carbohydrates 21 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 27 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.