Alright, you guys are either going to think I'm crazy or a genius! ;~P This is one of those thing I may only like.
I made it up yesterday being bored and stir crazy. I never realized how much I depend on the toddler to keep me going in the morning. This week without him has been rather bland. So to shake things up, I experimented in the kitchen!
I heard of people using quinoa for sweet dishes before but I've only tried it for dinner. Discovering it just a few months ago I love having a rice alternative. Well, now maybe I'll have an oatmeal alternative too!
I love the texture of the dish and it's chocolaty without being too sweet, my favorite. I'm sure you could use regular skim milk and and some chocolate syrup but I happen to have light chocolate soy milk in the fridge (another new thing for me) and it worked great!
- ¼ cup dry quinoa rinsed (66g)
- ½ cup light chocolate soy milk (4oz)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (6g)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
Whisk all ingredients in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 12 minutes until the quinoa absorbs most of the liquid. Serve!
I garnished with mint leaves to make the picture look prettier and I loved the chocolate mint bite!
- Whisk all ingredients in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.¼ cup dry quinoa rinsed, ½ cup light chocolate soy milk, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 12 minutes until the quinoa absorbs most of the liquid. Serve!