Ever since I got my NutriBullet I've been a little smoothie happy, especially at night. My new strategy to fight the nighttime munchies is to come up with a fun, nutritious smoothie. Something tasty, filling and satisfying.
Well, yesterday, I hit a home run with this banana bread inspired creation. It is simply fantastic! And uses just a handful of pantry items...
I don't know why it's taken me so long to get on the nuts-in-smoothie bandwagon. They add a wonderful flavor and creaminess. And, for me at least, a great way to get my nuts in as I tend not to enjoy them too much as a snack.
For this smoothie I went with walnuts as they are what I associate with banana bread, but if you don't have them I'm sure any nut would be just as tasty. And if you don't have nuts a dollop of a nut butter would work, too!
Here's what I did...
- 1 ripe banana (mine was 115g once peeled)
- 6 tablespoon pasteurized egg whites (92g)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- A drop or 2 of almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz (28g) shelled walnuts
- 5 or so ice cubes
Put everything in your blender and blend until smooth.
(If you have some baby spinach this would be a good one to add it to. Yes you'll end up with green banana bread but you won't even notice the taste of the spinach. I was actually sad I was all out.)
Leave it go for a good 30 seconds at least. Just walk away and come back to this creamy awesomeness!
Interested in responsibly raised, grass-fed protein sources? Check out ButcherBox! I've recently become an affiliate. They are a meat delivery service that provides 100% grass fed AND grass-finished beef. No hormones, no antibiotics, no feedlots, all pasture and sustainably raised.
It’s pretty impressive and very convenient if you live in an area where finding high quality meats is hard.
Banana Bread Smoothie
- Put everything in your blender and blend until smooth.1 ripe banana, 6 tablespoon pasteurized egg whites, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, Dash of nutmeg, A drop or 2 of almond extract, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 oz 28g shelled walnuts, 5 or so ice cubes
- Leave it go for a good 30 seconds at least. Just walk away and come back to this creamy awesomeness!
- If you have some baby spinach this would be a good one to add it to. Yes you'll end up with green banana bread but you won't even notice the taste of the spinach. I was actually sad I was all out