This is one of those "let-me-tell-ya-what-I-made-for-dinner-last-night" type of ideas. I happened to go grocery shopping and thin sliced chicken breast was on sale. I was planning on making chicken legs already so I picked up a package to experiment with on the side. I'm not the biggest fan of legs so this was a bonus for me. I'd prefer a breast or thigh if I'm going for a meat on the bone kind of meal.
Anyway, I made the legs for "the boys" and rolled up my own chicken concoction using a few things I had in my fridge. I'm not sure I'll make it this way again, but I'm glad I tried it. I'd like to replace the spinach with fresh herbs and possibly cook it in a red sauce. However, in a pinch this was great and I thought it might spark some ideas for you.
Warning.. this is just an idea... I didn't measure anything.. just take the idea and roll with it. (pun intended) ;~)
- Thin cut chicken breast or regular boneless breast pounded thin
- tomato paste
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- kosher salt & pepper
- dried basil
- baby spinach leaves
- shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
Smear the paste on the chicken. Sprinkle with spices. Top with spinach leaves and a bit of cheese. Roll. Secure with a tooth pick.
Bake for about 15-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
I went a bit picture happy with this one. I just think it could be such a pretty dish. As you can see in my main picture, I served it with brussel sprouts and corn on the cob. Next time I'm thinking I'll simmer them in a sauce and serve with a side of whole wheat pasta.
Idea: Chicken Roll Ups
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Smear the paste on the chicken. Sprinkle with spices. Top with spinach leaves and a bit of cheese. Roll. Secure with a tooth pick.Thin cut chicken breast or regular boneless breast pounded thin, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt & pepper, baby spinach leaves, shredded mozzarella cheese, dried basil
- Bake for about 15-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.