It’s meal prep season. I’m trying so hard to get myself back on some kind of routine. There’s no doubt I feel better when I take the time to meal plan and prep for the week.
So I’m using the GreenLiteBites FB group as my meal planning accountability “partner,” and I spent the weekend prepping lunches since I’m back in the office getting ready for classes. First, I made some Panera-Inspired Butternut Squash Soup but added some ground turkey for extra protein. Then, yesterday, I pulled together this idea I had after spying some awesome looking eggplants at the grocery store.
It’s winter time, so I tend to make more soups and one-pot kitchen-sink type meals. They warm my soul.
Turkey and Eggplant Stew
Yield 8-9 cups
Turkey and Eggplant Stew is a big-ass, chili-like, bowl of awesome. Top with a little feta and oregano to bring it all together.
- 2 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 onion chopped
- 9 cloves garlic minced
- 1 eggplant cubed (~380g)
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 Jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
Brown the turkey with the onion and garlic over medium-high heat. Once brown, add the eggplant, tomatoes, Jalapenos, and oregano. Continue to cook until the eggplant softens. Then add the broth and lower to the simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes allowing all the flavors to merge and the broth to thicken a bit.
- If I had spinach I totally would have added it. It would have made a great addition!
- When I measured out the final pot, I ended up with just over 8 cups but I decided to count it as 8 for nutritional info. I always err on the side of overestimated calories and such.
- Feta on top of this is fantastic! Of course, skip it for Paleo and Whole30.
Serving Size 1 heaping cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Total Carbohydrates 7 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 25 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.