I’ve seen it all over the internet: Avocado Toast.
Just do a google search? It’s crazy! Everyone and their mother seems to be smashing avocado and topping toast. This all seems new to me but then again I’m new to avocados so it all makes sense.
Anyway, it was time for me to join the party. Especially considering this month’s theme for my official California Avocado Commission post needed to be about breakfast.
Honestly, I whipped this up thinking it wasn’t going to be that great. I mean, how good can mashed avocado be on a slice of a bread?
I mean… amazing!
I’m not kidding! This was a breakfast made in heaven! And so, so, so easy to pull together in a jiffy.
Here’s what I did…
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (I used a whole wheat potato bread)
- 1/2 California avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice (I used fresh for a change — trying to keep limes and lemons on hand but the bottled stuff would be fine)
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp real bacon bits (7g)
- 1 hard-boiled egg (Click here for my perfect Hard Boiled Egg Technique)
- Black pepper for sprinkling
Toast the bread to your desired setting. I like lightly toasted.
While the bread is toasting, mash the avocado with the lime juice, salt, red pepper flakes and bacon bits.
Slice the hard-boiled egg.
Dollop the mashed avocado mixture on top of the toast, layer on the sliced egg and liberally salt and pepper the whole thing.
The combination was to die for and the added bacon bits in the avocado mixture made it even more indulgent.
I easily see myself making this a few times a week. I just need to remember to keep hard-boiled eggs on hand!
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|330||21g||8g||old: 8||new: 9|