I made my first batch of “energy balls” a couple of months ago and fell in love with their simplicity. I’ve never quite been able to master my own granola bar but put a few forgiving ingredients in a bowl and mash together into balls and voila! A homemade, portable snack or, in my case, breakfast.
Most mornings I wake up at 5:25 a.m., throw clothes on and head to the gym for a 6 a.m. class. I barely give myself enough time to brush my teeth let alone make breakfast so I’ve been experimenting with these and a few other grab-and-go ideas.
I was inspired to come up with a new flavor after buying my first-ever bag of coconut.
It’s yet another ingredient (like mushrooms and avocado) I was not fond of as a child but now absolutely love!
Here’s how I adjusted my original¬ Sunbutter, Maple and Dried Blueberry Energy Ball¬ idea. These don’t come out as sticky but they hold together great with just a simple squeeze.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 6 tbsp creamy almond butter (96g) (any nut butter would work)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (4 tbsp – 26g)
- 6 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut (30g)
- 1/2 ounce cocoa nibs (14g) (If you don’t have it you can skip or add a few mini chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup homemade chocolate syrup – click here for the recipe
Put all the ingredients in a bowl.
¬ Form into 20 balls.¬
I store mine in an air-tight container and grab 2-3 before heading out the door in the morning.
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|10||2 energy balls|
|165||10g||4g||old: 3||new: 5|