I totally don’t know what came over me this morning. I was hungry but I didn’t have a big desire to cook yet i wanted something homemade, warm and satisfying. So I whipped this up with what I had on hand. Notice it required no produce prep. :) You could replace some of the spices with fresh ingredients like onion, garlic and some peppers but I just didn’t have it in me. I wanted something uber convenient and this took a whopping 15 minutes to prepare. You can’t beat that!
So as always, take the idea and run with it! :) I’m totally please with how it came out.
- 2 cups (or a 15oz can would work) of our favorite chicken broth or stock (I used some turkey stock I had frozen from thanksgiving)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 2oz (55g) whole wheat couscous (I buy RiceSelect Organic Whole Wheat Couscous)
- 1 avocado cut into slices (about 25g for each serving)
- 3/4 oz fancy shredded mexican cheese blend (about 5g for each serving)
Place all the ingredients in a pot except avocado and cheese. Bring to a bowl. Then cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minute until couscous is soft.
Scoop into 4 bowls (each about a cup) top with avocado slices and cheese.
Note: this is the first time I’ve eaten avocado like this and I have to admit it was AWESOME! Produce Pick coming soon on the awesome fruit I was avoiding for some reason. :)
Note x2: Here are two more pics. I couldn’t decide so I let the toddler. He picked the main was as the “best”. :)
Note x3: Can you also tell I didn’t know what to call it?
|Servings||Amt per Serving|
|4||Just over 1 cup with 25g avocado and 5g cheese|
|240||10g||10g||old: 4||new: 6|