As a blogger people like to send me products for review. Generally I stay away from them here on GreenLiteBites unless they are something I can use in a recipe (like spice mixes.) So when the pancake mixes started rolling in I was unsure how to review them. Especially considering I make my own pancakes and have some pretty strong opinions on pre-made mixes, especially ones that aren’t whole grain.
As I stared at the the 3 boxes I thought… Pancake Off! Why not make all three, with mine mixed in and give each one a try. My initial idea involved some older kids to help but plans fell through. So you are stuck with just the toddler and I, as usual. :) That being said the opinions on taste are a bit skewed as the the toddler decided which was his favorite BEFORE he even tried them! Ahhhhh toddlers! :)
My favorite in order…
- My 100% Whole Grain Pancakes
- ok ok so I might be biased but I’m telling ya.. it held up against the mixes and I liked my addition of cinnamon and nutmeg for a more flavorful pancake
- Quaker Oatmeal Pancake Mix
- A close second. I really like them. They rose up great and had a nice texture. Plus the first 2 ingredients are oat flour, whole wheat flour, just like mine. :)
- Bisquick Heart SmartÂ® Pancake and Baking Mix
- Tasted good, very traditional but too “white” for me.
- Fiber One Complete Pancake Mix
- Not bad but thin and, again, too “white” for me.
Watch the toddler and I make pancakes from scratch in these other videos….